Friday, October 18, 2013

Technology & Pedagogy


         I chose this lesson plan because I liked the way it introduced Hamlet to the students. The lesson is a pre-reading lesson and I believe it to be very important to engage the student before reading because this ensures that they dive into the text with interest and not with despise.
        The curriculum goals, teaching strategies, and technologies were aligned. However, the video that is indicated in the lesson explains both critiques of Hamlet as a hero or anti-hero. But the teacher, in the original lesson plan, only wanted students to explore what a hero is. The reason the author of the lesson did that may be because Hamlet is most often portrayed as a tragic hero. However, I changed it so that students had the opportunity to pick which “type” of hero they wanted to use. This way they could see how their classmates interpreted what the video explains.  

        The technology that was already integrated in the lesson plan is a way to show the students that there are multiple critiques to what Hamlet’s heroic qualities embody. This video was essential for them to learn what a hero is made of. However, that was the only technology integrated in the lesson. Therefore, I decided to use the avatar website in order to allow students to further their imagination. This would allow students who are afraid to speak in front of a large group to express themselves through their avatar. They can also create visually what their hero or anti-hero would look like; performing it in class wouldn't give them this opportunity. I also added the smart board because the definitions are really important to use for the rest of the curriculum and having them displayed allows students to see what they originally thought. 

3 comments:

  1. Your avatar website idea would have never crossed my mind to incorporate into the lesson. I think that is a great way to get students who may be shy to participate more in the class in a less evasive way. It would also allow students to use their imagination in creating their avatar and have a little fun with the activity as well. I also like the use of the smart board. When I first read what you wrote I thought you were just going to have the definitions up on the smart board so students can refer to it. However, after looking at your spreadsheet I understand the purpose better. The students will find it to be a good resource and can make the changes you mentioned, if necessary, as they get further into the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you used the smart board as a way for the students to learn. I feel much of the times Smart Boards are not used properly and used to their potentials, I was glad to read how you used the Smart Board in such an effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This lesson sounds really interesting and even I want to learn about Hamlet now since I used to hate reading it. Your avatar idea is great and makes the lesson much more interesting. I wish I had done something like that when I was reading Hamlet. I like how you give students the definitions now so that they are familiar with the vocabulary and be able to understand the rest of the curriculum better.

    ReplyDelete